Saturday, September 13, 2008

Results

It has been quite a few months since the last update. Although I had a lot to say about our trip back from Loma Linda it wasn’t really adding a lot to the saga of prostate cancer. This week is different. It marks the fourth month since treatment ended May 8, 2008 and the first major check point.

The only effective way to tell how well treatment has succeeded is to wait about four months for the body to stabilize and heal from the treatment and then measure blood PSA. Thursday of this week I got great news my PSA is now down to 1.2ng/ml from a measured high of 6.3ng/ml. The results are exciting but the best part of it all is I feel good, no tiredness, and no side effects with the exception of an occasional slow urinary stream (could it be a sign of normal aging?). All sexual functions are normal. I now have confirmation things are going in the right direction.

Once having gone through radiation treatment prostate cancer patients will take a few years to reach the lowest PSA reading possible. The target is 1.0ng/ml or less. Those who have the lowest risk of prostate cancer reoccurrence are those who’s PSA reaches a low of 0.5ng/ml or less. This a great start. I had expected and would have been happy with a PSA reading of 3.0ng/ml.

Since I have been back home I have joined the Boulder PCa (Prostate Cancer) support group. I have two clear reasons to join. The first and primary is to maintain and improve the knowledge I have of this disease. The second is to offer my experience with proton therapy to those who are in the treatments decisions making process. With the results I have to date I feel more comfortable championing the choice I have made for its low impact to the body.

In Loma Linda the support group met every Wednesday. Although, clearly it championed proton therapy it was a wonderful place for men and their spouses as well as other cancer patients to share their experiences, problems and just to compare notes of how their treatments were going. There were variations in experiences as there were variations in severity of the cancers. Overall it was a very strong experience to be surrounded by people who in most cases went against the advice of their doctors and against the desires of their insurance carriers. Almost every person who was at Loma Linda was self-referred meaning no referring doctor. As a consequence none felt they were victims – very much take-charge type of people from around the United States and the world.

The Boulder support group is also quite supportive but because they serve a very diverse cancer population the culture is quite different with some stark differences. In the two meetings I went to there were men who were coming back looking for help as their cancers had shown signs of returning. One of these men had quite an advanced cancer stage with a PSA number in the many hundreds. The mix of different stages of cancer brings an aspect quite absent from the experience at Loma Linda - going optimistically through a treatment to an expected cure.

The second aspect of the group to surprise me was the high number of men who have gone or are going through some form of hormone treatment. From my reading and my experience at Loma Linda is to do everything possible to avoid hormones just to avoid the consequences of hormones. Those consequences of chemical castration are really a very unnatural change in the male body's chemistry. The effects are numerous and not very different to menopause. Hormones do have their place. They are used limit the growth of tumors and in some cases shrink tumors until a treatment is started. It does not cure. It’s a delay tactic in the fight against cancer.

Before I left for treatment in California I was advised in Boulder to consider two forms of treatment and not use a mono-treatment. My Gleason score was 7 (3+4), which put me in the range where a dual treatment was recommended, i.e. surgery and radiation, or surgery and hormones, or radiation and hormones were recommended. To be honest I was not looking forward to a dual treatment plan. When I went to Loma Linda I really wanted to test this recommendation. Over a period of weekly visits I discussed with my doctor whether I should do dual treatment. Some of these discussions were more aggressive since I wanted to see if when pushed for dual treatment his advice would change. Consistently he advised against hormones. He saw no benefits in my case and flatly stated if he were me he would not want to deal with the complication of hormones. I was really glad to follow his advice.

Loma Linda is different than most places that treat prostate cancers. It’s a hospital that has all of the options available to it to treat prostate cancer and can choose the best method to treat a patient. Loma Linda has tremendous experience in particular cancer and heart (some of you may remember the first infant to receive a successful heart transplant - Baby Fae treated at Loma Linda). Loma Linda is the number one trauma center for Southern California. So when you are there you become accustomed to the sound of frequently arriving helicopters. Often you see both heliports in operation to bring trauma victims in for treatment. For me it is clear these doctors have a lot experience seeing how their patients do using any of the available treatments.

As you can tell I am enamored with the treatment at Loma Linda. There is one unfortunate downside proton treatment whether at Loma Linda or anywhere else offering these proton treatments. The problem is limit in treatment capacity. Although a number of facilities are coming online as of now I believe the current capacity may be approaching 3,000 patients per year. There are over 200,000 new PCa cases per year. Only a small percentage will find available treatment in a proton center. Those who make through those doors are truly a little different. They do have something special to make it to treatment. I can honestly say it’s not money or influence. If anything it is persistence and desire. I saw patients from every walk of life, from wealthy to poor, from self-paying to those without any wherewithal to make a payment. For me it was consistent persistence.

6 comments:

Marianne Bush said...

Thank you, Peter, for this blog. My husband was just diagnosed with prostate cancer 10 days ago and we have been very busy researching the treatment options. While we have pretty much decided to go for Loma Linda, your input has been invaluable. Funny, though, how proton treatment is being kept quiet by the medical community. Wish you continued good health.
Best regards,
Marianne Bush
Belmont, CA

Peter Najar said...

Marianne,

I wish you both success in whatever treatment you decide.

Please remember this is a very slow growing cancer, unless your doctors indicate your husband has an advanced case. So you should have plenty of time to wait for the treatment you want to be available.

I believe the reason doctors do not recommend Proton therapy is because there is a very limited capacity for treatment with protons. Maybe up to 3,000 men will be treated with protons this year. That's a drop in the bucket considering just this year alone more than 200,000 new cases will be diagnosed with the disease. The docs have to offer more readily available treatments to treat the majority of patients.

Bob Walsh said...

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did. I see that you have not posted anything in a while, so I hope that you are continuing in good health. You look very well in the pictures...like a man who has and is living a good life.

There's not much room here to go on too long. And really, I just wanted to wish you well. This blog is a good thing. I'm sure many people have been heartened by your positive attitude and big smile.

Very best regards to you and all your family.

Bob Walsh

Peter Najar said...

As a reply to Bob Walsh. I am doing quite well but not as focused on Prostate Cancer as before. Life does catch up.

prostwell said...

Peter,
Thanks very much for your blog.
I have just been diagnosed with PCa (Gleason 7) and am researching what I should do next. I live on the western slope of Colorado and will first have a CAT scan and bone scan in a couple weeks in Grand Junction, which will presumably determine whether the cancer has spread outside the prostate gland.
(BTW, I studied Physics at CU in Boulder in the early 70's and am also an engineer, so it seems we have some things in common.)
I would like to look into the Proton Therapy option to see if I would qualify for this treatment. Do you have any specific suggestions or contacts that I might use as a first step?
Thanks again for your informative blog.
Regards,
Rick H.

Peter Najar said...

Prostwell Please send me an email so I can send you a response. Please contact me at pnajar@comcast.net